4
comments
|
Sunday, September 23, 2007
"Always ask questions... else it becomes a religion." - Bill Maher
I love Bill. I sometimes forget to catch his show, then when I watch it, I kick myself for ever missing it. From this week's show:
If you believe you’re in a long-term relationship with an all-powerful space-daddy who will, after you die, party with your ghost forever—you can’t have my vote, even for Miss Hawaiian Tropic.
I can’t trust you at the levers of government because there’s an electrical fire going on in your head.
Maybe a president who didn’t believe our soldiers were going to Heaven might be a little less willing to get them killed.
Candidate Mitt Romney, a Mormon, believes in spiritually-blessed underwear that can protect him. He seemed like a nice man, and so do his sons, Wally and the Beav. But, I’m sorry, their religion is bat-shit. It’s like Scientology without the celebrities. And he has every right to run for president while believing in magic underwear, and believing that Jesus survived his own death and will return during an Osmonds’ concert in Branson. And I have every right to take that into consideration in the voting booth.
And at the end of the day, is magic underwear really that much crazier than giant arks or virgin births or talking bushes? You’re either a rationalist or you’re not. And the good news is, a recent poll found 20% of adults under 30 say they are rationalists and have figured out that Santa Claus and Jesus are really the same guy.
4 Comments:
ROFL!!! That guy is great. He's also very right - if Bush wasn't such a religious zealot, he might not be so ready to watch all our soldiers get killed. He probably thinks he's doing them a favor, putting them on the fast-track to eternal bliss.
Then again, he's a Texas oilman, so I still think that it's mostly motivated by money.
8:17 AM
I pretty much religiously watch Bill but I get so pissed off sometimes. This was great!
5:43 PM
Hmmm . . . while I understand that much of what Bill says is humor, I think he's getting dangerously close to offending a lot of people. I'd hate for him to lose votes for a Democratic candidate by trashing someone's beliefs. I think a lot of people don't like the Republicans because they come off as narrow-minded bigots (some, in fact, are just that), but I wouldn't want the Dem's to end up being the "Left" version of the same thing.
I just hope you guys don't pigeon hole Christians (especially this one) just because Bush claims to be one. I'd like to think his intelligence has more to do with the decisions he's made as president.
11:20 AM
He wasn't being policital in this rant, it was all about religion. He's very anti-religion, that's why I like him!
11:30 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home