2
comments
|
Sunday, July 16, 2006
OK, so I had grand plans to come back with a cool template but no. I haven't had the time or patience to look for something and get it up and running. I found one I liked but couldn't figure it out. Thus the patience comment.
I just got back from DC. It was my first time there and I have to say, I was pretty impressed. Being a rather non-patriotic person, especially as of the last ... what, six years or so...and definitely no history buff, I didn't expect to really be excited by any of the sights or memorials. I thought I would enjoy it more from an architectural experience than anything, but I was wrong. I was really moved by a couple of the memorials, mostly FDR but also Thomas Jefferson's. Those of you who have always been good at/interested in history will likely recognize these quotes, but for me, it was inspiring to read, yet sad that after all this time, we still are really not that further along than we were back then. We advance technologically so much faster than we do socially.
Selfishness is the only real atheism; aspiration, unselfishness, the only real religion.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much it is whether we provide enough for those who have little.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
In these days of difficulty, we Americans must everywhere must and shall choose the path of social justice...the path of faith, the path of hope, and the path of love toward our fellow man.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded...I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed...I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814
Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782
Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787
Anyway, I hope to go back to DC sometime with Cory and really get to spend some time exploring more of the museums, parks, Georgetown etc. It was a great experience. Oh, and the conference was okay too. ;)The new job should begin August 1. I'm excited but nervous. The problem with creating your own job is also that you are in essence in charge of whatever you do, so I've got nowhere to start really and no one to look to for guidance. I am my own resource which is scary! I've got much research to do. But it will be good, it will keep me busy and occupied which of course you all know I need. Boredom = ick.And though you haven't heard from me on the subject, our new car freaking rocks. :)
2 Comments:
Welcome back foo!
9:05 AM
Hey, being back means you have to actually post stuff mkay.
11:25 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home